My Goal

To raise $100,000 for the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation. I can not achieve this goal without your generous personal and/or corporate donations. So please click on Susan G. Komen above and donate today to this worthy cause.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Greetings from Waterville, Maine!



Well gang, over the past several of weeks I have done more moving than the Bekins Van and Storage guys. Since leaving Kansas, I have “cowboyed up” and really started to motor. A typical daily ride is now running 325 to 425 miles per day. This may not sound like much to most of you, but when you are travelling the back roads on a motorcycle in less than perfect weather conditions it is amazing how physically and mentally exhausted one becomes by the end of each day. It is one thing to do it for one or two days in a row, but it is a whole different story when you are on an extended journey such as mine.

I am currently in Waterville Maine and have now ridden through 29 states so far. Today I had a super ride up past Moose Lake which is northwest of Bangor. A lot of rain, but still a ten plus for beautiful scenery and viewing of some great homes. Since surviving my near death experience in Kansas, I have travelled the scenic roads of Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and I am now in the “Pine Tree State” of Maine.

I would like to say that the weather has been great, but it hasn’t. For the most part the days have been much cooler than I expected (today the high hit only 66 degrees) and I have hit much more rain than anticipated. What is that old expression about “a cloud seems to be following me most of the time”? Don’t get me wrong, I am still having a total blast, but there is no question about it that so far this has turned out to be more of a spring ride than a summer ride. As one motorcyclist told me, “We knew we were not buying a sedan when we bought these things”. I laugh about his comment every time the rain starts to really come down. I am just amazed in this part of the US how quickly a few scattered clouds can turn into a viscious thunder storm. I mean I am talking in less than 15 minutes a “ride in the park” can turn into a dark, black, wet, windy nightmare from hell.

Most days I have tended to start riding later in the day due to work related commitments in the mornings and then I end up riding much later into the late afternoon and early evenings in order to keep making tracks. My cardinal rule though is to never ride at night. I feel the risk of doing so is simply too great to be out after dark. Interesting fact…..Did you know that a moose’s eyes do not reflect the light at night the way other animals do so seeing them is almost impossible?

Now for the journey…. Nebraska was one of the most enjoyable rides so far on this adventure. The sunny late afternoon sun on my back, the rich yellows, greens, and browns made the scenery and the ride just about perfect. No question that the terrain lacks mountains, but as I have mentioned previously I just love the plains of the Midwest as much as I enjoy riding through the higher elevations like the Rockies. I know a lot of people won’t agree with me about beauty of the Midwest Plains States, but I find a real peacefulness in roaring across the rural roads of Middle America. It reminds me of simpler times that most of us enjoyed as small kids growing up in the bigger coastal cities. I just love seeing the young Midwest boys running around the small towns barefooted in nothing more than a pair of old cut-offs. When we were kids my two brothers and I would chuck our shoes in the closet after the last day of school in June and not put them back on until that dreaded September day came around when we were sent back to “prison”. Our tender feet and stubbed bloody toes of June would turn into callas hardened instruments capable of fire walking by early September. Those were truly great days….the best morning of the year was the last day of school in June and the worst day arrived a short three months later!

I also love seeing the farmers working the fields, hay rolled up in round bundles as far as the eye can see, and the empty streets of most of the small towns I ride through. The funny thing is that it does not seem to matter what time of day or the day of the week that I ride through many of these small towns, the people never seem to be on the streets or outside of their homes. It always reminds me of Rod Serling’s Twilight Zone that aired on TV in the late 50’s and early 60’s. I always ask myself, “Where are all the people?”
From Nebraska I headed up to South Dakota. Although the world famous Sturgis bike rally was not due start for another two weeks I wanted to hit Mount Rushmore again and ride the Black Hills while I was in the neighbourhood (only 200 miles away). Boy, has that monument gone commercial since my last visit (distant parking structures, huge gift shops, buses galore, tourists everywhere, etc.), but the stone carving is still absolutely breath taking. In addition, the motorcycle riding of the Black Hills is some of the best and most enjoyable found anywhere on this planet. Wide sweeping turns on great roads, dark soil and green trees everywhere, and the views in all directions makes this a real treat. This is especially true when you get to enjoy this part of the country prior to when a couple of hundred thousand of your closest friends show up in early August for the Sturgis Rally.
North Dakota was uneventful and weather was starting to turn nasty on me again during this leg of my journey. The scenery in Minnesota improved, but weather and the roads were less than perfect. Outside of Fergus Falls I experienced some additional mechanical problems. My gear shift linkage broke and thanks to my trusty duct tape and plastic ties (a must have for all long distance motorcyclists), I was only broken down for about 45 minutes. The patch job worked great and allowed me to get on my way versus being stranded and having to wait for the tow service.



A great late afternoon..............perfect light and sunshine!



Next up was Iowa. What would a trip through Iowa be without visiting Winterset (south west of Des Moines about 35 miles)? First, I went to the home of Marion Michael Morrison (aka John Wayne). He was actually born in the house just over101 years ago. It is now a museum and gift shop and you can tour the small 700 or 800 sq ft home that is basically identical to when he lived there, see the room he was actually born in, and buy every imaginable piece of John Wayne memorabilia from shot glasses to belt buckles.

Second, I wanted to visit the Bridges of Madison County (ala the book of the same name by Robert James Waller and the 1995 movie that featured Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep) again. Although I had been through here one other time, I enjoyed the day just as much this time through. I had a great time and I highly recommend that you visit Winterset if and when you are anywhere close to Iowa.

Shortly after leaving Iowa and heading into Missouri I heard from my office in London that they had arranged for me to meet with the Harley Davidson folks in Milwaukee, Wisconsin to tour their new museum and to be interviewed by the Fox News network there. So I motored through Missouri and Illinois to make sure I got to Wisconsin in time for the interview.

Fist I was impressed with the riding throughout most of Illinois until I got close to Chicago. What a zoo Chicago was as it was related to the traffic and the roads were not much better. I did get caught in an incredible flash thunder storm that was a bit scary. Inside of 30 minutes, the skies turned from puffy white clouds to black ominous ones that turned the daytime skies into the dark of night. Within a ten minute period of time the winds went from zero MPH to about 50 or 60 MPH gusts. It was everything I could do to keep the bike upright and get to the next off ramp to hide under a gas station awning until the thunder cell moved on through.

Wisconsin had some beautiful scenery, but the roads were one step better than Alaska and that is about it! This was a big shock for me with it being the home state of Harley Davidson and all. By the way, the Harley Museum turned out to be incredible as I expected it to be. Also, the interview with Fox News was really fun and went well. I spent a couple hours with the news person and her cameraman. Both were really nice and they filmed me riding and talking about Cruising for the Cure, etc. The spot ran on the 6 o’clock local news.

The next day I headed for Green Bay to try to straighten out the Bret Favre/Green Bay fiasco. Needless to say, I failed in my attempts to get reconciliation between the two parties as evidenced by the recent trade to the Jets. I found Green Bay itself to be less than I expected and after spending one rain soaked night there I headed south in order to find something to do, some dry weather and hopefully some decent roads that would not shake every bolt loose on Captain America! A couple of hundred miles south of Milwaukee a car passed me and then slowed down and rolled down the shotgun side window. As we rolled along, a young guy stuck his head outside of the window and asked if he could take my picture and said that I was now famous because he and the guy driving saw me on Fox News the night before. We both laughed and then proceeded down the road.

Riding in Ohio was terrific and the highlight for me was going to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. This is truly a must see museum. I was in total awe of the quality of the exhibits and the broad cross section of music covered. It had the actual costumes, advertising posters, etc. from all of your favorite acts. In addition, the museum even had cars, motorcycles, etc from the likes of Elvis, Janis Joplin, Jon Bon Jovi, and others. At first I thought there was only one floor to the exhibit and felt I had gotten my monies worth ($22) after spending about 2 hours pouring over all the 1st floor exhibits, but then I discovered as I was getting ready to leave that there were 4 additional floors. The items that I enjoyed the most were seeing the original written lyrics to some of the most famous songs in history. Some were written on things like the back of paper bags and others on Ramada Hotel stationary. Lucy in the Ski with Diamonds was one of these and seeing certain words scratched out that did not work and then the new ones added that did was a real treat for me. This was way cool! Wow, what a treat and I will definitely come back again (next time with Doreen) and spend much more time pouring over all this great history and attending all of the video presentations!

Weather really turned south on my while I was headed for Indiana. I was forced to pull off the freeway twice due to high winds and incredible rain. My rain gear seems to be my standard outfit for the day these days! Once I got to Indy I had an opportunity to have diner with two old friends from my RCI days. It was wonderful to see Steve Miller and John Reinhardt again. Although I had not seen them for several years it was as if no time had past at all. We talked and laughed for several hours over a great dinner and a couple of drinks. Simply great guys and a perfect evening!

The riding through Kentucky, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and now Maine has been way beyond my high expectations. Although I have had some real weather challenges, the beauty of these states are second to none. If real estate looks good on a lousy day, can you imagine how great it would look on a perfectly warm sunny summer day? I was very surprised by West Virginia and Pennsylvania due to the fact that I felt for some reason that the scenery would be mediocre at best, but it wasn’t. I expected the other states to be great and they have all far exceeded my expectations.

The people I have met along the way have been equal to or better than the scenery! Kind, helpful, interested in Cruising for the Cure and my sponsor (Titan Sports Media), and they are also so proud of where they live. A trip like this has really opened my eyes to the fact that there are a lot of incredible places to live throughout our country without having to be within 10 miles of either coastline.

Early last week Doreen found out one of her friends in San Diego was diagnosed with breast cancer and last Friday she underwent major surgery. I dedicated my ride that day to her. It turned out to be a great day from a weather standpoint (a nice exception to the usual all day rain that I have been seeing). I had a beautiful day of blue skies, white clouds, some shorts showers, and then bright blue skies and white clouds again with stunning scenery in every direction as I rolled through the Adirondack Mountains of New York.

I am happy to report (knock on wood) that Captain America is running like a top….dirty, but running like a top. I can’t wait to get some decent weather so I can give her a bath! I will need to take her in for a major service and new rear tire some time in the next few days. Tomorrow afternoon after I get some work done, I will start heading south which should be a kick. I hear weather over the next few days may even get better…I know this is hard to believe, but I so want to believe the weatherman!

Now how would I rate the trip so far on a 10 point scale? How about a solid 15? It has been a real challenge and so fulfilling as I meet people along the way and spread the word about Cruising for the Cure. I am handing out more of my Cruising cards than does a strip club hawker in Vegas!

I am really hopeful that I am heading into some really hot weather. For those of you who know me, I hope to get a lot of 100+ sunny days coming up in my near future. I know this may sound terrible to some of you, but who cares….this is my journey and I love scorching heat. As I always say, “How can you be in a bad mood on a really hot day?”

Later guys,

Smiley

No comments:


Tracking Dave's Journey

The Plan



My plan is to have a great day everyday and to help make a difference!

On May 29, 2008 at 7:00AM I will throw my left leg over my modern day version of Peter Fonda’s “Captain America” Harley Davidson motorcycle and I will begin a 3+ month journey of a lifetime. I have dreamt about this trip for years and have meticulously planned every aspect of it from what to take, where to go, what to see and most importantly, what I want to accomplish during such a journey.

I plan to ride the back roads of America through 49 of the 50 states in our beloved country and much of Canada in a single ride while hopefully raising $100,000 for the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation. Weather and my mood will dictate my direction far more than any set schedule. I am firmly committed to ride through a great deal of every state and not to just clip the corners in order to be able to scratch them off my list. I am planning on both camping and staying in hotels along the way. I anticipate that I will log between 300 to 400 miles per day on most of my riding days.

No riding companions or chase cars for me during this journey – just my own thirst for adventure, wacko sense of humor and willingness to talk to anyone, anytime and anywhere as I motor throughout North America while getting to know the locals along the way. I want to learn as much as I can about their views toward life, family, sports and their careers.

In addition, one of my primary goals is to spread the word regarding the importance for regular breast cancer screening exams and to help to raise money so that we can find the cure sooner versus later. Be it big city malls or small town coffee shops in the middle of rural North America, I want to help raise the awareness about this disease and hopefully get more people committed to help us find the cure as I gain more insight into the lives of people I meet during my journey.

My custom 2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide – “Captain America” – has been outfitted with a special handle bar camera mounting system and custom rear rack that will allow me to carry all the essentials for my journey as well as the things I need to be able to continue to update my blog, communicate with my family and friends, and to be able to do some work while on the road.

Follow my Journey

I will be updating my blog at least once a week with stories about my trip, the people I meet, and I will also post photos I take along the way. In addition, I will keep you posted about media interviews I am able to arrange over the next several months as I publicize the purpose for this journey. As you can see, the blog will allow us to communicate with one another and I am really looking forward to hearing from you.

I will try to describe the good, the bad and the ugly regarding my travels. As in any adventure, there will be highs and lows and some incredible experiences and stories that I will no doubt want to share with you. As an example, I can just imagine the feelings of excitement and fear of the unknown that I will experience as I first pull out of my driveway on May 29th. How will I feel after my first breakdown, severe storm, or after a long day in the saddle seeing incredible scenery, or getting to know my first truly fascinating person? It should be interesting and I hope you will enjoy my adventure along with me. Remember, in motorcycle riding as in life, "It is not the destination, but the journey that matters!"

The Why

How many times have you heard someone say that they are going to do “this” or “that” when they have more free time and/or the money? Often their dreams are never realized because “life” gets in the way and the next thing they know it is simply too late for one reason or another. Well, one of my primary objectives in life is not to let this happen to me. What is the old saying, “You only go around once!”

I have been blessed with a great family and career and have had an opportunity to live, work and play around the world. I am combining two of my great passions in life which are my love of motorcycles and a desire to find the cure for breast cancer.

Why Motorcycles?

I fell in love with Harley Davidson motorcycles 15 years ago when Bill (my buddy) first showed up at my house riding his new bike. I only remember three things about that day – candy apple red paint, chrome everywhere and Bill’s ear-to-ear grin! He decided to take up the sport after one of our closest friends (Dick Fletcher) passed away while several of us were surfing in Del Mar. Dick’s passing was a real tragedy and wake-up call for us all. Bill had concluded that life is short and very unpredictable and he wanted to start living everyday to the fullest!

Over the initial concerns my wife had about the dangers of motorcycle riding, I soon followed Bill’s lead and bought my first Harley and have been a long distance rider ever since with some trips covering over 7,000 miles.

Why Breast Cancer?

Because this dreaded disease has taken so many lives and impacted so many others. My family is no exception.

Doreen (the love of my life) is one of the lucky and growing number of breast cancer survivors. It was a real eye opener for us both back in 2005 when she was first diagnosed shortly after our close friend (Gerri Hickman) had just lost her 4+ year battle with the disease. These two events rocked our world, brought us even closer together and made us realize that the years are marching on. It also made our family realize that we do have so much to be truly thankful for and we must treat every day as a gift.

The Beginning

On May 29th I will arrive at VG’s Donuts and Bakery located in downtown Cardiff by the Sea at exactly 7:15AM sharp. You ask why start from VG’s? Because it is the best darn donut shop and bakery in all of Southern California and I should know.

I have been going there religiously for the past 30+ years whenever I am in town. It is not just about the donuts: it is about a great family business that is truly focused on quality bakery products and friendly service. Joe and his family have built a thriving business over the past 39 years. VG’s for as long as I can remember has had fiercely loyal customers from CEOs to surf bums. The best way to describe it is kind of like a combination of Cheers and Central Perk! Oh yes, VG stands for "Very Good".

For more than three decades, I have been one of their loyal customers and a friend. As an example, on May 28th 1977 at 5:00AM I even pulled off the freeway while my wife (Doreen) was in heavy labor with our first child (Brendon) to grab my usual order to go. Needless to say, she was not overly pleased with me that morning as she was not enjoying the wonderful smell of hot coffee and donuts while she was huffing and puffing and getting much closer to giving birth to our ‘little” 9 pound 3 ounce bundle of joy... “Brennie-Boy”. Later that day, and even today, she says, “what the hell were you thinking? We still laugh about it all these years later.

I have chosen VG’s as the starting point for my epic journey so that I can have an opportunity to throw back one last great cup of coffee and maybe a maple glazed and cinnamon crumb or two. It will also give me an opportunity to say goodbye to family, friends, interested on lookers, and any media before I head north towards Alaska on the first stage of my adventure.

I hope you can come down to VG’s that morning for a cup of coffee and a donut or two and give me the kind of send off that only a “wacko” like me would enjoy. I will even buy the coffee and a couple of donuts for the first 50 people who show up to send me off in style... and they say bribery does not work!

At about 8:15AM on that morning I will say my last goodbyes, climb on board “Captain America”, hit my electric starter, the... my journey begins and yes, this will be a day that I will never forget!

Our Family

Our Family
Kelly, Dave, Doreen, Sophie (aka Precious) and Brendon
A beautiful winter day at the beach in San Diego, December 2006

This “Cruising for the Cure” breast cancer fundraising ride would not be possible without the generous support of Titan Media, our sole media sponsor. Titan is the largest sports media publishing company in China with over 7 million readers. Their major monthly magazines included All Sports (the Chinese equivalent of our Sports Illustrated) and Outside. They also publish a series of sporting newspapers that come out several times a week.

The group is very supportive of the “Cruising for the Cure” because this disease knows no borders and more and more Chinese are impacted by it every day.

They are also enthusiastic about running a series of articles in their various publications about my adventure and the people I meet along the way. As you may or may not know, a growing number of men and women in China have adopted a sporting lifestyle in order to stay fit, reduce stress, and to live longer, healthier, and happier lives. They are all very keen to learn more about the sporting lifestyles enjoyed by both Americans and Canadians living in both countries.

During my journey, I will be interviewing young and old alike regarding this subject and sharing what I learn with their readers in both their newspapers and monthly magazines.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Corporate Donors include the following:

----------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------