My Goal

To raise $100,000 for the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation. I can not achieve this goal without your generous personal and/or corporate donations. So please click on Susan G. Komen above and donate today to this worthy cause.

Monday, September 29, 2008

Will the real Dave Clifton please stand up!










What a difference a shave makes!!!
It is now coming up on two weeks since I pulled into my driveway on Captain America. As mentioned previously, I wanted to give myself a few days to decompress before I felt I could accurately reflect back on my entire Cruising for the Cure experience.

The first 48 hours after I got back to San Diego I was pretty much a zombie. Basically, I was worthless. It was like I could finally let down and relax because I no longer had to be “on high alert” from the moment I woke until the moment I fell asleep each day over the past 3+ months. I found myself no longer having to worry about weather, routes, traffic, road hazards, road closures, repairs, animals (live and/or dead), hotels, restaurants, etc., etc. Bottom-line, my body pretty much just collapsed once I took my shower and finished visiting with my family and the neighbors.

Since my return, I still find myself thinking about my journey each and every day. It brings a smile to my face and a sense of accomplishment that is hard to explain. Sometimes it is the big things and sometimes it is the smallest of experiences that literally gets me laughing out loud. No doubt this looks weird to strangers when I am by myself. The important thing is that reflecting back on my trip brings nothing but huge smiles to Smiley. Even the bad times were good in the end because they made me appreciate the good times that much more.

Yes, the weather sucked much of the time and I did have a few too many mechanical problems with Captain America for my taste, but most of these were caused by my aftermarket customizing of my “ride” and not related to Harley Davidson as a manufacturer. That being said, these “challenges” were all part of my adventure and honestly now I would not trade any of them for the world! They tend to tests one’s ability to think on his/her feet and to solve problems as they pop up. Hell, if you don’t solve them yourself, then who will solve them for you.

Many people have asked me if I have learned anything from my trip and were there any real surprises along the way. Oh boy, where do I start?

First, let’s focus on what I have learned and what I got out of making such a crazy journey:

1. I gained so much personal satisfaction from making the trip. First, this was the first time that I have actually taken an active roll in helping a charity out directly without just writing a check. I have always been “too busy with work or family, etc”. I found talking to people about their experiences with cancer of all types and raising money for Susan G. Komen made me feel really good inside. I highly recommend that you all get involved in some form of charity work. You too will receive much more than you give!

2. The trip totally restored my faith in mankind. I was blown away by the friendliness and generosity demonstrated by so many people all across the US and Canada. I was also taken back by the number of people who wanted to tell me their own or a close family member’s cancer stories. Most of these stories were incredible survival stories, but some were as sad as you can imagine. I was also amazed by the number of people who would make a donation to a stranger who looked like hell. People would approach me due to my prominent clothing and bike logos regarding the trip and ask me questions like, “Are you really doing this?” Which state aren't you riding to? (By the way, I had to do everything I could to keep from laughing when numerous people seriously asked me that question.) Are our citizens treating you nicely? Do you need a place to stay? “Can I help you find something?” This kindness and generosity was demonstrated by all races, genders, and/or economic classes. The people of America and Canada are good people and we should all be proud of one another!


3. The vast majority of the United States and the three provinces of Canada that I rode through were truly beautiful and I would put this scenery up against any in the world. Favorites included Idaho, Montana, BC, Yukon, Alaska, Alberta, Kansas, Nebraska, Main, New Hampshire, Vermont, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Arkansas.

4. Traveling by myself, I was forced to interact more with strangers which turned out to be one of the highlights of the trip. I have always enjoyed talking to all types of folks, but my journey opened a whole lot of new doors for me. It was obvious to me that the grubbier I got the more I was able to fit in with a much broader section of society than usual. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting almost all of people along the way and with very few exceptions they were “cool”. On numerous occasions I would come away from a conversation thanking my lucky stars that I did not judge the book by its cover!

5. I knew the trip would be mentally and physically demanding, but I really had no idea just how demanding it would turn out to be. No question that weather and the bike issues played into this, but upon reflection I now feel a major reason for the challenge centered on the shear length of the trip and my riding solo. Keep in mind this 23,500 mile ride was over 3 ½ times longer than my previous longest trip in the past.

6. Motorcycle camping is just not my thing! It is either too hot or too cold to camp. In addition, I felt my bike lacked the space I needed to really bring everything I wanted for a “good” camping experience. With hotel rooms averaging only about $90 a day, you will soon see all of my rarely used camping gear on eBay priced for a very quick sale. Any bidders?

7. Plan for anything and everything. Other than the camping gear that I shipped home from Montana, I feel that my pre- trip packing was just about perfect. I highly recommend that you never leave on any motorcycle trip regardless of the time of year or the duration of the trip without having with you great rain gear, warm cloths, a good towing package, your leathers, and a super easy going attitude. You will probably need and use them all!

8. Would I buy another Harley Davidson motorcycle? The simple answer is a resounding YES! During the trip I had an epiphany about my current bike versus the kind of riding I enjoy doing. As mentioned, I only go long haul and seldom ride around San Diego. Captain America is not a “touring bike” but more of a “neighborhood bike”. Over the next several months I will be looking to buy a 2009 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic. This Harley is really designed and built for the kind of riding I know and love.

9. The interest in my sponsor also surprised me. So many folks wanted to know about Titan Sports Media Group, the Olympics in Beijing, and the reasons why the Chinese are getting so motivated regarding living a healthy lifestyle. A day never went by without my engaging in a long conversation or two about these subjects. I enjoyed these conversations greatly and was amazed about the depth of knowledge that so many people have about this incredible country and the great Chinese people. There is no question that Titan should speed up the development of their English website due to the interest that I felt along the way.

I want to thank all of you for following me along my journey and hope you have enjoyed it half as much as I have. At this time I also want to thank those of you who have made a donation to Cruising for the Cure. If you have not yet done so, I sincerely hope you will in the very near future! You can click through on the Susan G. Komen name and it will take you right to their website where donations can be made on line and in the name of Cruising for the Cure. I can not tell you how much both Doreen and I appreciate your important participation in this worthy cause. I am more confident than ever that together we will find the cure and it just may not be that much longer before we can all celebrate.

I also want to thank Doreen and my two great kids for allowing me the luxury of fulfilling my life long dream. Without their support and love this trip would have never happened nor would it have been nearly as enjoyable as it turned out to be. And it goes without saying that I so appreciate Titan and Interval International for also making this journey possible.

At this time I already look back on my journey this summer and it seems like ages ago. No doubt as time goes by I will continue to be living up to my nickname (Smiley) every time I think back on the incredible Summer of 2008. What a "fricking" great adventure it was my friends!!!! Would I do it again? No question about it. I truly had a total blast and feel like I gained so much more than I gave during my Cruising for the Cure adventure. All of the above said, I am really glad to be back in San Diego and looking forward to getting back into the swing of things in Dubai during October. I miss the region and the people greatly.

Enjoy your autumn and be kind to one another. Signing out for now,

"Smiley"

No comments:


Tracking Dave's Journey

The Plan



My plan is to have a great day everyday and to help make a difference!

On May 29, 2008 at 7:00AM I will throw my left leg over my modern day version of Peter Fonda’s “Captain America” Harley Davidson motorcycle and I will begin a 3+ month journey of a lifetime. I have dreamt about this trip for years and have meticulously planned every aspect of it from what to take, where to go, what to see and most importantly, what I want to accomplish during such a journey.

I plan to ride the back roads of America through 49 of the 50 states in our beloved country and much of Canada in a single ride while hopefully raising $100,000 for the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation. Weather and my mood will dictate my direction far more than any set schedule. I am firmly committed to ride through a great deal of every state and not to just clip the corners in order to be able to scratch them off my list. I am planning on both camping and staying in hotels along the way. I anticipate that I will log between 300 to 400 miles per day on most of my riding days.

No riding companions or chase cars for me during this journey – just my own thirst for adventure, wacko sense of humor and willingness to talk to anyone, anytime and anywhere as I motor throughout North America while getting to know the locals along the way. I want to learn as much as I can about their views toward life, family, sports and their careers.

In addition, one of my primary goals is to spread the word regarding the importance for regular breast cancer screening exams and to help to raise money so that we can find the cure sooner versus later. Be it big city malls or small town coffee shops in the middle of rural North America, I want to help raise the awareness about this disease and hopefully get more people committed to help us find the cure as I gain more insight into the lives of people I meet during my journey.

My custom 2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide – “Captain America” – has been outfitted with a special handle bar camera mounting system and custom rear rack that will allow me to carry all the essentials for my journey as well as the things I need to be able to continue to update my blog, communicate with my family and friends, and to be able to do some work while on the road.

Follow my Journey

I will be updating my blog at least once a week with stories about my trip, the people I meet, and I will also post photos I take along the way. In addition, I will keep you posted about media interviews I am able to arrange over the next several months as I publicize the purpose for this journey. As you can see, the blog will allow us to communicate with one another and I am really looking forward to hearing from you.

I will try to describe the good, the bad and the ugly regarding my travels. As in any adventure, there will be highs and lows and some incredible experiences and stories that I will no doubt want to share with you. As an example, I can just imagine the feelings of excitement and fear of the unknown that I will experience as I first pull out of my driveway on May 29th. How will I feel after my first breakdown, severe storm, or after a long day in the saddle seeing incredible scenery, or getting to know my first truly fascinating person? It should be interesting and I hope you will enjoy my adventure along with me. Remember, in motorcycle riding as in life, "It is not the destination, but the journey that matters!"

The Why

How many times have you heard someone say that they are going to do “this” or “that” when they have more free time and/or the money? Often their dreams are never realized because “life” gets in the way and the next thing they know it is simply too late for one reason or another. Well, one of my primary objectives in life is not to let this happen to me. What is the old saying, “You only go around once!”

I have been blessed with a great family and career and have had an opportunity to live, work and play around the world. I am combining two of my great passions in life which are my love of motorcycles and a desire to find the cure for breast cancer.

Why Motorcycles?

I fell in love with Harley Davidson motorcycles 15 years ago when Bill (my buddy) first showed up at my house riding his new bike. I only remember three things about that day – candy apple red paint, chrome everywhere and Bill’s ear-to-ear grin! He decided to take up the sport after one of our closest friends (Dick Fletcher) passed away while several of us were surfing in Del Mar. Dick’s passing was a real tragedy and wake-up call for us all. Bill had concluded that life is short and very unpredictable and he wanted to start living everyday to the fullest!

Over the initial concerns my wife had about the dangers of motorcycle riding, I soon followed Bill’s lead and bought my first Harley and have been a long distance rider ever since with some trips covering over 7,000 miles.

Why Breast Cancer?

Because this dreaded disease has taken so many lives and impacted so many others. My family is no exception.

Doreen (the love of my life) is one of the lucky and growing number of breast cancer survivors. It was a real eye opener for us both back in 2005 when she was first diagnosed shortly after our close friend (Gerri Hickman) had just lost her 4+ year battle with the disease. These two events rocked our world, brought us even closer together and made us realize that the years are marching on. It also made our family realize that we do have so much to be truly thankful for and we must treat every day as a gift.

The Beginning

On May 29th I will arrive at VG’s Donuts and Bakery located in downtown Cardiff by the Sea at exactly 7:15AM sharp. You ask why start from VG’s? Because it is the best darn donut shop and bakery in all of Southern California and I should know.

I have been going there religiously for the past 30+ years whenever I am in town. It is not just about the donuts: it is about a great family business that is truly focused on quality bakery products and friendly service. Joe and his family have built a thriving business over the past 39 years. VG’s for as long as I can remember has had fiercely loyal customers from CEOs to surf bums. The best way to describe it is kind of like a combination of Cheers and Central Perk! Oh yes, VG stands for "Very Good".

For more than three decades, I have been one of their loyal customers and a friend. As an example, on May 28th 1977 at 5:00AM I even pulled off the freeway while my wife (Doreen) was in heavy labor with our first child (Brendon) to grab my usual order to go. Needless to say, she was not overly pleased with me that morning as she was not enjoying the wonderful smell of hot coffee and donuts while she was huffing and puffing and getting much closer to giving birth to our ‘little” 9 pound 3 ounce bundle of joy... “Brennie-Boy”. Later that day, and even today, she says, “what the hell were you thinking? We still laugh about it all these years later.

I have chosen VG’s as the starting point for my epic journey so that I can have an opportunity to throw back one last great cup of coffee and maybe a maple glazed and cinnamon crumb or two. It will also give me an opportunity to say goodbye to family, friends, interested on lookers, and any media before I head north towards Alaska on the first stage of my adventure.

I hope you can come down to VG’s that morning for a cup of coffee and a donut or two and give me the kind of send off that only a “wacko” like me would enjoy. I will even buy the coffee and a couple of donuts for the first 50 people who show up to send me off in style... and they say bribery does not work!

At about 8:15AM on that morning I will say my last goodbyes, climb on board “Captain America”, hit my electric starter, the... my journey begins and yes, this will be a day that I will never forget!

Our Family

Our Family
Kelly, Dave, Doreen, Sophie (aka Precious) and Brendon
A beautiful winter day at the beach in San Diego, December 2006

This “Cruising for the Cure” breast cancer fundraising ride would not be possible without the generous support of Titan Media, our sole media sponsor. Titan is the largest sports media publishing company in China with over 7 million readers. Their major monthly magazines included All Sports (the Chinese equivalent of our Sports Illustrated) and Outside. They also publish a series of sporting newspapers that come out several times a week.

The group is very supportive of the “Cruising for the Cure” because this disease knows no borders and more and more Chinese are impacted by it every day.

They are also enthusiastic about running a series of articles in their various publications about my adventure and the people I meet along the way. As you may or may not know, a growing number of men and women in China have adopted a sporting lifestyle in order to stay fit, reduce stress, and to live longer, healthier, and happier lives. They are all very keen to learn more about the sporting lifestyles enjoyed by both Americans and Canadians living in both countries.

During my journey, I will be interviewing young and old alike regarding this subject and sharing what I learn with their readers in both their newspapers and monthly magazines.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Corporate Donors include the following:

----------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------